[LinuxBIOS] #47: Screenshots and videos on the website

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Apr 25 01:23:59 CEST 2007

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 12:58:45AM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 12:20:06AM +0200, Peter Stuge wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 10:11:18PM -0000, LinuxBIOS wrote:
> > > It would be nice to get even more videos/screenshots, though.
> >
> > I have the C3 video around too, but I think Ron's FOSDEM talk has all
> > I said and more.
>
> Nah, the more the better :) Can you create an OGG file and upload
> it to the wiki (if it's small enough)? Otherwise, archive.org has
> lots of hosting space...

I've toyed with theora a little, just need to cut it down better.

How does hosting at archive.org work?

> > If we want to host youtube files locally I like http://vixy.net/
> > for converting FLVs.
>
> Well, we could do that with files which have a free-ish license,
> but I'd rather not do it with random other files.

Oh, no, I meant files that we know the authors of and can check in
with for licensing. Ron made the two showing my car.

> The 22C3 video of your talk (on the DVD) is recorded by me so I
> guess technically I (sort of) own the copyright? So that would be
> no problem, I can license it under whatever free license we prefer.

The recording is a derivative work of the presentation itself. Either
I own the copyright, or I assigned it to the CCC implicitly.

> In any way, I think the official video recordings are Creative
> Commons licensed, so we could strip out your talk only (out of the
> whole lightning talks session) and put it into the wiki?

Yeah, by speaking I think I allowed CCC to license the recording as
they saw fit. I've done a rough cut to 286MB MPEG-2 and 63MB theora
in PAL resolution. It's just over 10 minutes long.

//Peter