[LinuxBIOS] lxbios bug?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Apr 24 21:46:18 CEST 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 12:43:02AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Uwe Hermann <uwe at hermann-uwe.de> [070424 00:34]:
> > Yes, Kconfig.dts sounds like the better solution, IMHO.
> >
> > But maybe we can even use Kconfig only for this? Do we need/want to
> > stick that information in the dts? Why not put it into Kconfig files
> > directly?
>
> Ok, another alternative indeed.
>
> Before we should decide the technical implementation,
> what do we want to achieve, what are our requirements to the system?
>
> * configure cmos options defaults with make menuconfig

Yes.

> * have one single prominent place (per mainboard?) for those options?

One place: yes (Kconfig files, for example).

Parts of the settings will be generic, others may be mainboard-specific.
But we can still make Kconfig stick them all in the same menu (from a
user-perspective) is we want, so that's not a problem.

> * inherit options? Options per component? Like superio serial 0/1 on/off
>   should be set in cmos instead of dts or compile time?

Set a default at compile time, but allow overriding via CMOS settings.

Not sure what exactly inheriting and per-component options mean here.

> * simple format for describing the options

Yes. AFAICS Kconfig can handle everything we have in cmos.layout files
now: numbers, strings, multiple-selects (with a default value), etc. etc.

> * have a tool that creates an "option_table" format file as we have it
>   now, so we can easily use all the existing code for now
>   (get_option(...), linuxbios table, lxbios utility....)

Hm, yes, probably. Needs some more investigations, maybe.

Uwe.