[LinuxBIOS] On flashrom architecture

Darmawan Salihun darmawan.salihun at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 18:15:24 CEST 2007

On 4/24/07, Stefan Reinauer <stepan at coresystems.de> wrote:

> * Darmawan Salihun <darmawan.salihun at gmail.com> [070424 17:37]:
> > Hi all,
> >    Sorry if this is quite very basic question. I haven't got the time to
> read
> > the latest version of linuxbios's flashrom. Is the basic mechanism to
> access
> > the BIOS chip address space is through mmap function? haven't grep the
> code
> > though :-(.
>
> Yes. The bios chip is mmapped into the processes address space. There
> are some occurences of mmap over the place. I recently cleaned the code
> up a little bit, dropping multiple open() calls on /dev/mem.
>
> Do we need a wrapper for those "map-physical-memory" functions?
>
> I think we don't need it because it has an "equivalent" in Windows' kernel
mode driver, i.e.

PVOID MmGetSystemAddressForMdlSafe(IN PMDL  Mdl, IN MM_PAGE_PRIORITY
Priority);

Unless, we are planning for a "single-build" for all platforms (Linux, BSD,
etc.), we don't need a wrapper.
The main problem is the mechanism will be a bit different because flashrom
will be divided into kernel mode driver
and user mode application in Windows.

-- Darmawan