[LinuxBIOS] Booting Windows XP / Vista - Google Summer of Code

Augusto Pedroza augusto.pedroza at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 15:31:42 CEST 2007

Hi there,
  I am very excited for having been selected for GSoC with such a
challenging project.
  My project consists of booting windows Xp /Vista on LinuxBIOS.
  Right now, I have the following responsibilities:
  1. Evaluating which of the following projects will best fit our needs

   - using a dedicated LinuxBIOS loader (ie. adapting
ReactOS<http://www.reactos.org/>FREELDR)
   - booting Windows on top of Linux using
kexec<http://www.xmission.com/%7Eebiederm/files/kexec/README>
   /kboot <http://kboot.sourceforge.net/>
   - fixing ADLO <http://linuxbios.org/ADLO> so that it boots Vista/XP
   and removing the mainboard dependencies in it's code.

  2. I have been figuring out what are the main differences in between
Windows XP and Vista booting process.

  I already got some papers by Ron Minnich, Adam Sulmicki (
http://www.missl.cs.umd.edu/winint/index2.html) and
Boot Configuration Data in Windows Vista  by Microsoft (*
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/bcd.mspx* ).
  I would appreciate any suggestions, tools you guys think that would be
useful.

Thanks a lot and hope to have a great summer,
--
Augusto Pedroza