[LinuxBIOS] GA-M57SLI-S4 dual bios pins was Re: New with a GA-M57SLI-S4

Beth beth.null at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 14:18:27 CEST 2007

Hi all again (hi ST, yes I am Jose, Beth is a long story :D, some day ...).

Well one week of holidays, half other with a lot of work and some days
without batteries on the multimeter ..., I am back.

Well I am a bit "disconnected", but, ST are you still interested on
that I check the pins of the second socket?.

What about your discoveries about the #init pin?

And talking about the #init, guys, have you seen the mail from Luis Correia??:

>after some time being absent from here while attending o some other
>pressing issues, i'm back to LinuxBIOS :)

>My NOVA-4899R needs a proper bios and I'm confident that this time it
>would get better.

>But as always, problem is swapping the BIOS with enough confidence.
>After ruining onf my my precious BIOS chips, I decided on a radical
>approach.

>Here is the photo (sorry for the hosting), and the explanation follows:
>http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/7942/detail01hd8.jpg

>This is composed of a BIOS with a PLCC socket soldered on top (all
>pins except #CE)

>Then, the #CE signal is intercepted and routed to a switch, which in
>turn selects the upper or lower chip.

>After the first boot and using uniflash as a detecting software for
>the parts, only one of the chips was correctly identified. Then it
>struct me that while one chip was connected to the controller, the
>other had the pin 'free floating'. This was solved by pulling the two
>#CE pins from the flash devices to +5V.

>This is a very dumb rig, but hey, it works.

>I haven't flashed any on the chips yet, but now uniflash does detect
>them correctly.

>I'll be offline until the 20th but after that i'll try to post more
>detailed pictures of it, along with a proper schematics.

>Thanks for listeing to all this crap :)

>Luis Correia

It's like my friend's idea but correctly done (I didn't realized that
leaving vcc out will leave the pins "floating"). It seems to work, we
don't have #ce pin, but will work on the same way our #init pin.
Yesterday I received the new bios chip and a plcc socket so I will try
it, first if you give me the ok (jejeje), I must find from where the
#pin comes, cut and insert the switch to the chips ...

Another thing, ST, I bought the chip, an extraction tool and a socket
from http://bios-repair.co.uk/ , I had a very fluid communication and
no problems at all with Paul.

And, nothing more, see you. Regards.