[LinuxBIOS] flashrom: porting to mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Tue Apr 10 22:16:36 CEST 2007

Hi,

I've upgraded the flashrom Debian package to a more recent svn snapshot
recently, and noticed that it won't build on all architectures Debian
supports (yet?).

See here:

  http://buildd.debian.org/pkg.cgi?pkg=flashrom

It builds fine on alpha, amd64, arm, i386, ia64.

On the other architectures (mips, mipsel, powerpc, s390) it fails with

  flash.h:28:20: error: sys/io.h: No such file or directory

(build logs are available in the above URL)

Now, my question is whether this can be fixed easily or if there is some
fundamental reason why flashrom will never build on those architectures?

Well, sys/io.h is not available there, but as far as I know we only
need it for outb() and friends? Is there another way to do the
equivalent of outb() on those architectures?

On hppa, m68k and sparc the build was not even attempted, as it's
currently marked as "won't build there" in a certain config file of the
Debian build daemons:

  http://cvs.debian.org/srcdep/Packages-arch-specific?root=dak&view=markup

Is that correct? Or is it just that we need to port it until it's able
to be built there? I'm willing to help with testing if anyone is
interested in working on this...

Uwe.