[LinuxBIOS] Fitting larger flash chips to accomodate a kernel

Phil Endecott spam_from_linuxbios at chezphil.org
Sat Sep 30 20:28:12 CEST 2006

Thanks Bari.

Bari Ari wrote:
> Phil Endecott wrote:
>> So my first question is, will higher-capacity flash chips "just work", or does the motherboard design limit them to the flash size that they are supplied with?
> Motherboard designs that use a serial LPC or FWH interface have all the
> control and address lines required routed from the chipset to the BIOS
> flash socket, but may still not be able to access memory windows of
> larger than 256KB, unless the chipset pin straps are set for 512KB, 1MB
> or larger. There may be other chipset dependent issues with accessing
> flash control register space (e.g., block locking) that require hardware
> and/or firmware workarounds.

So the answer looks like "maybe".  Perhaps someone can suggest a
motherboard where this is known to work?  I have recently done some
things using VIA mini- and nano-itx boards (I've just finished a
digital picture frame based on a 500 MHz nano-itx) and they would be
ideal for what I have in mind now, but if they are known to not work
then I would consider something else.  The nano-itx has a 512 Mbyte LPC
flash chip; presumably there is no freely-available documentation about
how it is connected up.  Is there a way to know what will work apart
from trying it?

Thanks,

Phil.