[LinuxBIOS] Using GRUB as a payload

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Sun Sep 24 21:53:51 CEST 2006

Al Boldi wrote:
> Stefan Reinauer wrote:
>> What is your requirement? Loading Windows?

> nor can it boot disks >32GB.

Ah, the factory BIOS versions back then. Usually applying the latest upgrade
helped a bit. But even if the 32 GB barrier remained, there were two ways to
boot from larger harddisks:
* Clipping the capacity of the drive with a jumper and und clipping it via
  software while Linux was booting.
* Installing the Linux /boot partition into the first 8 GB.

I haven't seen any factory BIOS with 32 GB limit which didn't work with at
least one of the tricks above.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--