[LinuxBIOS] v3(?) config [was:changes in decompress coming.]

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Sun Sep 17 23:25:02 CEST 2006

* Peter Stuge <stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org> [060917 02:37]:
> Fair enough. But does the build directory have to be per-target or
> would you be OK with fixing the build directory to e.g. build/ right
> next to src/ ?

The advantage we have now is that we can easily put config files for
"build with VGA" "build with FILO" "built with etherboot" "build
256k/512k/1MB" etc. If we can easily fix this, we might be able to drop
the hierarchy in /targets

> What I like about the Linux build is that there's only ever one dir
> that you "make" in, and when make is done it always produces
> arch/*/boot/bzImage.

Good comparison. So "config" in our case is actually what we have in
/targets/ now. The tree is not. Which board we build for is a config
option though.

> The current structure could be simple too, if the buildtarget step
> could be skipped, and there was no need for via/epia-m/epia-m but
> only via/epia-m, and that's where you go to make config && make to
> get a linuxbios.rom.

ready-made config directories? With Kconfig this could be a lot easier
because it resolves option dependencies during compile time.

> > yes, kconfig has real limits, and we need to see if we can work our
> > way around them.
>
> Or maybe we'll extend it?

Or use it for what it can do and use different "made-to-the-task"
utilities for the rest of our needs.

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613