[LinuxBIOS] Flashrom is not detecting 2MiB flash

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Wed Sep 6 02:15:47 CEST 2006

ollie wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 15:23 -0600, Alan Carvalho de Assis wrote:
>
>> Hi LinuxBIOS' hackers,
>> I am trying to get a SST49LF160C (ID1=0xbf and ID2=0x4c) working on my
>> MB (chipset VIA8237), but I get a strange error.
>>
>> If the flash_probe (probe_jedec) attempt to detect flash more than
>> 512KB it don't get the flash IDs.
>>
>> Some time ago I see a Ron mail about MB can detect until 2MiB flash
>> with no problem, but I don't know why it is not working them.
>>
>> I added these lines to flashchips.c:
>>
>> {"SST49LF160C", SST_ID, SST_49LF160C,   NULL, 2048, 64 * 1024,
>> probe_jedec, erase_chip_jedec, write_jedec, NULL},
>>
>> Someone know why my MB doesn't detect flash it this size is more than
>> 512MB?
>>

> There is some register in the chipset which control how large of the
> flash rom address are writable. Your mainboard probably only enabled
> 256kB of rom address so flash rom have problem working on a 512kB
> flash part.
>
> Ollie

You're probably going to need access to the VT8237 programming guide.
You are going to run into issues with the VT8237 accessing  address
space with block locking registers in the SST49LF160C or SST49LF016C.

Are you sure the SST49LF160C follows jedec routines completely? I seem
to recall the SST 16Mb parts vary some.

Bari