[LinuxBIOS] Support for Abit AV8? Suggestion for AM2 board?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Fri Oct 20 23:18:36 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 11:57:24PM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
> > The image on the URL you posted suggests that it's _not_ soldered on,
> > i.e. it's in a socket (it's the chip left from the battery).
> I was talking about the smaller chip to the left and slightly above of the
> chip you're talking about. But I don't really know which is the BIOS.

The one in the socket is quite surely the BIOS.

> Anyway,
> I don't have the equipment to flash a removable chip :-)

You do. It's your motherboard :) Have a look at the 'flashrom' utility
in the LinuxBIOS svn repository. It can flash many different chips when
they are put into the BIOS socket of your board (while the computer is
running).

You can get another (empty) chip of the same size as your current one
for 2-5 Euros/Dollars, swap them, and burn a LinuxBIOS image on the empty
one. Before you attempt such a thing make sure to read all available
info on the wiki and in the FAQ, as you may render your mainboard
useless if you overwrite your original BIOS chip accidentally or so.

Anyway, it's very well possible to burn a BIOS image, even without
special equipment which costs 500 Euros, by simply using your
motherboard and 'flashrom' (if that supports your board/chip)...

> > Someone else has to answer this question. But please also see
> > http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-October/016268.html
> It'd be nice if someone could name a few known-good boards.

Anyone?

> Then there's MCP55 = nforce 5xx, which looks OK. The post says: support will
> be released some time. What is the status of MCP55 support? Does it make a
> difference which particular MCP55 variation I buy (MCP55P SLI, MCP55 Ultra,
> MCP55S) and which particular nforce 5xx chip, or are they all the same for
> LinuxBIOS?

I have no idea, sorry :)

Uwe.
--