[LinuxBIOS] Support for Abit AV8? Suggestion for AM2 board?

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Oct 19 21:35:28 CEST 2006

Hi Dan,

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 03:06:20PM +0200, Dan Armak wrote:
> Does or will LinuxBIOS support my motherboard? It's an Abit AV8 - socket 939,
> Athlon64 3200, VIA K8T800 Pro / VT8327 chipset.

It's not supported, yet, I'm afraid (but correct me if I'm wrong).
The K8T800 Pro is not supported (not sure how hard it'll be to get
proper datasheets), and the VT8327 isn't either (but the VT8325 is
supported, so maybe that's easier to add).

> SuperIO chipset is Winbond W83627HF-AW.

That's supported, as far as I can see.

> I'm really not sure about the BIOS chip. There's a chip that _might_ be the
> BIOS (it has an Abit mGURU sticker on it). It's square, soldered directly to
> the motherboard, and has >10 thin legs on each of the four sides. According
> to your FAQ that probably makes it a PLCC but I'm really not qualified to
> judge this.

It's quite probably a PLCC, most newer boards use PLCC.

The image on the URL you posted suggests that it's _not_ soldered on,
i.e. it's in a socket (it's the chip left from the battery).

> I'm also looking to build a new system soon. What motherboards are known to
> work with LinuxBIOS that have: socket AM2, PCI express, no embedded video
> unless it's got free drivers?

Someone else has to answer this question. But please also see
http://www.linuxbios.org/pipermail/linuxbios/2006-October/016268.html

Cheers, Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann