[LinuxBIOS] New wiki index page.

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Thu Oct 12 12:27:30 CEST 2006

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 03:53:54AM +0200, Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> >  * Remove the index.php part from the URL (needs mod_rewrite
> >    and editing of LocalSettings.php). The old URLs will remain
> >    valid, too, so no external links will break.
> >    http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Short_url
>
> That wont work since we have a couple of non-wiki files on the site as
> well (unless someone volunteers to wikify them all)

I should work with a little trick. Try something like this in the
.htaccess file (in the top-level webserver directory):

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine on
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
  RewriteRule ^.* - [L]
  RewriteRule ^(.+)$ index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]
</IfModule>

It will only redirect URLs which are neither a real file, real
directory, or a symlink (so the non-wiki content should still be
accessible).

You also have to change $wgArticlePath to read
  $wgArticlePath      = "$wgScriptPath/$1";
in LocalSettings.php.

But putting all files in the wiki is a good idea anyway,
so yes, I volunteer :)

> >  * In the menu on the left I'd change "Welcome to LinuxBIOS" to
> >    "Welcome", and "Download LinuxBIOS" to "Downloads".
>
> We can also completely change the sidebar, making several categories..
> see www.openbios.org for an example

That's probably not necessary in this case, as all the links are
listed on the main page already.

> BTW: does the news field on the main page get updated automatically?

No, but that would probably be overkill anyway. The news section hasn't
been really updated too often in the past...

Uwe.
--
Uwe Hermann
http://www.hermann-uwe.de