[LinuxBIOS] qemu images

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Mon Oct 9 20:29:45 CEST 2006

On Sun, 2006-10-08 at 17:28 +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Sep 30, 2006 at 09:59:21AM -0600, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
> >    I have a semi related question. I see that the OLPC project uses
> > buildroot to create a root filesystem. I've done the same for a few
> > projects. I'm wondering though, how they convert the filesystem to a
> > disk image. I went over the docs on the wiki and used google, and I
> > don't know how they get a disk image from the filesystems it creates.
>
> You mean a way to convert an arbitrary filesystem (with any OS on it,
> be it Linux, Windows, or whatever) into a QEMU image?
>
> That would be very interesting indeed, not only for LinuxBIOS / OLPC.
> Does anybody know if or how it can be done?

I found out that qemu will run from an ext2 filesystem image. Which is
neat I guess, however it is still rather difficult sometimes to work in
this manner. What would be really great for my setup would be to have
qemu use a chrooted directory. No image mess, it can write wherever it
wants, and when it isn't working, so can I. Once it is all setup, image
it and add your kernel and be done with it. Using the ext2 filesystem
image is pretty good though.

--
Nathanael D. Noblet <nathanael at gnat.ca>
Gnat Solutions, Inc