[LinuxBIOS] amideco, awardeco, phnxdeco now in Debian

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Fri Oct 6 20:52:47 CEST 2006

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:

> Why? Decompressing factory BIOS is not our main goal. It may be convenient
> to get the VGA BIOS from some factory BIOS in this way, but I hope we
> won't have to suck in loads of code from other projects for that.

Well, we do. The util directory is intended to be a set of handy
utiltities that may be needed to build a bios. The only way people can
get VGA bios today is via these tools. We don't have redistribution rights.

I am happy these utils are in debian, but at the same time, I don't like
the idea that we have to tell people to get debian to get a utility they
need.

BTW, one conclusion of the linuxbios summit this week was that we need
to get permission from the companies to put their VGA bios on our web
site, and/or get redistribution permission. Is someone willing to do
this? Contact those vendors and see about redistribution permission?

thanks

ron