[LinuxBIOS] request for programmers manual maintainer

Ward Vandewege ward at gnu.org
Mon Oct 2 15:39:40 CEST 2006

Greetings from the LinuxBIOS symposium in Hamburg!

We're on our second day, and things have been going very well. We've been
having some very interesting sessions, and even started doing some
(late-night) hacking. We got an OLPC demo - booting openfirmware and linux
kernel payloads! The folks from AMD gave an interesting talk about AMD's
linuxBIOS roadmap. We've talked about payloads, and about how to rework the
configuration system. Lots of interesting stuff.

The slides from the talks should be online soon - hopefully in a couple or
days or so.

Some pictures are already linked to from here:

  http://linuxbios.org/index.php/LinuxBIOS_Symposium_2006_Photos

We'll post more links there as we upload more photos.

Now; this morning we had a discussion about the creation of a Programmer's
manual. The idea is to create much more documentation for people who want to
start hacking on LinuxBIOS. People who contribute code would ideally also
write documentation about that code - but there might be other contributors
too, of course.

The consensus of the discussion was that we need a coordinator for the
Programmer's manual. Ideally someone who is *not* yet very familiar with the
codebase, or even with low-level programming. Such a person would basically
oversee the creation of the manual, encouraging (pestering?) coders to also
contribute documentation, etc. It would be a great way to dive into LinuxBIOS
programming - the coordinator is pretty much guaranteed to learn a lot as
this manual takes shape.

The question is - anyone here who would be interested in taking on this role?

Thanks,
Ward.

--
Ward Vandewege <ward at fsf.org>