[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS and Intel VT?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 22:14:02 CET 2006

Hi Anna,

Fischer, Anna wrote:
> I have a laptop with a Mobile Intel Express Chipset 945GM and an Intel
> Core Duo (T2300) processor. However, the provided BIOS does not allow me
> to enable Intel VT (Virtualization Technology) extension. Would
> LinuxBIOS be a possibility to enable VT on my machine? Has anyone ever
> tried that before?

Unfortunately, Intel will only give you specifications for the chipset
if you have a good business case (probably more than 1000 machines).
Besides that, laptops usually do not have a socketed flash chip and
thus are a bit more difficult to recover if something goes wrong.
I fear that your laptop will remain unsupported by LinuxBIOS for
the foreseeable future.

However, we are in the process of porting LinuxBIOS to a few affordable
desktop mainboards in the hope that this will drive LinuxBIOS adoption
to a point where vendors will cooperate better.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel