[LinuxBIOS] This is so bad it is funny.

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Sun Nov 26 18:30:21 CET 2006

> This is how you update EFI on a mac. I can't believe they do it this
> way, but I guess there is no EFI console. And, in the fashion of EFI,
> I guess you are not allowed to do this from the OS!

It is quite similar to how it worked on Apple OF, actually.
There are a few important differences though :-)

> Note what this means: EFI has the ability to write over itself. Oh
> joy. "hold down the power switch until it blinks a lot". Oh yeah.
>
> I like the part where you determine success.

Muahahahaha!

> 1. Quit all other open applications.

This used to be automatic.

> 2. Click Shut Down in the Mac mini EFI Firmware Update window and wait
> for your computer to shut down.

Ditto.

> 3. Press and hold the power button on your Mac mini until the power
> indicator light flashes repeatedly to begin the update.

On Apple OF, this boots the backup image instead of the regular
image.  I'm told with EFI there is only one image though.

> A status bar indicates the progress of the update.
>
> Important: Do not interrupt the update.

There _was_ no way to interrupt it (except pulling the power
cord).

> Your computer restarts automatically when the update is completed and
> opens the Mac mini EFI Firmware Update.
>
> 4. Click OK, if the firmware is now up-to-date.
>
> If these instructions appear on your screen again, the firmware update
> was not successful. Repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

Oh joy :-)

Let's do things better than this for LB, shall we?  :-)

Segher