[LinuxBIOS] digitallogic/adl855pc will not link

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 17:37:05 CET 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:

> * Jon Dufresne <jon.dufresne at gmail.com> [061120 20:39]:
>> /usr/bin/ld: section .reset [fffdfff0 -> fffdffff] overlaps section
>> .rom [fffd632e -> fffe1d7f]
>
> This looks like a linker bug in the Debian linker. Why is it putting
> .reset at 0xfffdfff0 instead of 0xfffffff0 ?
>
>> When I use abuild it says that it builds fine. Any idea why I can't
>> get this to link using make?

Jon,  Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this.  I've been
Traveling.

This is the classic out-of-room in the linuxbios IMAGE error.  Not to be
confused with out-of-room in your ROM.

You can fix this by increasing your ROM_IMAGE_SIZE.

Note that this option is sort of misnamed.  Very non-obvious as to what
it does. This controls the size of the area we allocate out for the
Linuxbios+payload.

Try:

option ROM_IMAGE_SIZE=0x16000

Rather than 0x10000 as in Config.lb

0x16000 is what abuild is using. It can probably be smaller.  In fact a
good exercise for the reader is to find out how small it can be and
still contain a FILO payload.

Stefan:

Why is abuild preferring to use its own custom Config.lb rather than the
 Config.lb that is in the target directory?

--
Richard A. Smith