[LinuxBIOS] Recommendations on Fully Free Workstation hardware

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Nov 20 23:57:46 CET 2006

Hi,

I contacted some UK custom PC shops and only one got back to me -
nsys.co.uk - and I really recommend their customer service! :-)

The machine they have put together totals £1018.27

The motherboard is a "Tyan Thunder K8SE (S2892G3NR)" with a single
Opteron 250 2.4GHz Processor. Since this is a server-grade
motherboard, it requires an expensive (£200) PSU - a "24Pin 8 Pin
Enermax Server Grade".

The "128MB Asus Radeon X300SE Extreme" appears to use the r300 chipset
which is being steadily more supported by X.org

I am considering "Seagate 250Gb NCQ" harddisk, and the NCQ features
are not yet supported -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Command_Queuing#Operating_system_support
- but should be soon.

I wonder about firmware status of CD/DVD Optical disk drives and sound cards.

Does this list have any recommendations and comments on the above? :-)

When I get this machine, I'll write up a report about what I did and
why as per http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/supportlinuxbios.html

--
Regards,
Dave