[LinuxBIOS] Failure with Tyan K8WE S2895

Myles Watson myles at pel.cs.byu.edu
Thu Nov 16 15:46:54 CET 2006

> I'm using FILO as a payload, not a kernel directly -- does the size of
> the kernel still matter? Would a payload/kernel issue really cause this
> kind of problem? I'd expect more than 0.5 seconds of life from the
> system anyway, I'd be happy if it gave me a prompt or similar.

FILO doesn't have the drivers necessary to control the SATA drives on the
NVIDIA CK804 chipset.  That's why you need a tiny kernel.

I ran into the same problem and ended up adding an IDE drive to the system
so that I could boot, at least until I could get a tiny kernel into the ROM.

My symptoms were different, though.  My machine came up to a prompt and then
couldn't find the drive.  The fact that your machine is beeping seems weird
to me.  I haven't seen LinuxBIOS beeping for failures.  Have you looked up
the code to see if your factory BIOS can explain the beep codes?

Myles