[LinuxBIOS] RAM controller breakage?

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Sat Nov 11 14:12:17 CET 2006

Uwe Hermann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just a bit curious - are there settings/registers in northbridges
> which can seriously brick a mainboard and/or RAM (physically) if abused
> properly?
>
> I'll start testing my 440BX code soon, so I'd like to know what I have
> to expect...
>

> Uwe.

Well, from what I can tell, this chipset is fairly idiot-proof, as long
as you don't go messing around with anything not in the docs. The only
real show stoppers would be setting the timings too tight, or setting
the ram type to the wrong type, but I don't even know if that would burn
hardware. BTW, if you want a hand with testing anything, send me an
email, I'm curious to see how you've gotten it to work, and I've got a
test rig installing gentoo right now. I've spent a few hours pouring
over the docs, but haven't gotten the time to make anything from it.

Corey Osgood