[LinuxBIOS] Advice for buying a new and not-obsolete workstation?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Nov 10 02:10:44 CET 2006

On 10/11/06, Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry bad choice of words on my part.. I meant not fully open source and
> not totally free of binary cruft.
>
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=115536806403908&w=2

Ouch. When he says, "The driver remains completely functional in the
absense of the binary piece", surely some functionality is missing -
what is this? I don't understand enough (yet) to know from that post
:-(

Also, my local PC builder says:

-- 8< --
I cannot find any seller of the motherboard, it may be obselete, or even not
released in the UK yet
Looking at the spec of the board it is a dual cpu board of very high spec.
Boards of this Spec we have used in the past have been £300-£400
2 Cpus will be in the region of £500
I don't really consider this to be a workstation setup.
Do you want to go to this VERY high spec?
-- 8< --

Any suggestions? :-)

--
Regards,