[LinuxBIOS] #31: Do proper checking for flash erase for SST FWH parts

Uwe Hermann uwe at hermann-uwe.de
Sun Nov 5 23:39:03 CET 2006

On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 09:40:04PM +0100, Segher Boessenkool wrote:
> The patch never made it to the mailing list.  To review the
> patch I now have to:
>
> 1) Click the link in the trac mail;

The patches should really be sent together with the notifications. This
will make your list a lot shorter. This will be basically almost equal
to a mail-only handling...

Optionally, you could use the web only.Example:

1) Go to http://tracker.linuxbios.org/trac/LinuxBIOS/ticket/26
2) Click on a patch. It'll be displayed syntax-highlighted in a nice
   format in your browser (or else your browser sucks ;)

The problem is, you currently cannot "reply" to a patch there (as is possible
with Trac comments) and insert your comments. Would this be
nice-to-have? In that case we could fix Trac to do just that.

The nice thing about Trac is that it is very customizable. We can fix
it with patches, configure it, add plugins, whatever.
We just need to have a common understanding of what features we expect
from it, the rest is "easy"...

> 2) Find the correct patch in the list, click it;
> 3) Scroll all the way to the bottom, click "download original format";
> 4) Remember the file name (and see that it has a MIME type of;
>     "text/x-diff", whatever that is);
> 5) Open the file in some editor;
> 6) Copy all text;
> 7) Press "reply" somewhere in the trac page;
> 8) Paste that patch;
> 9) Fixup all mangling (insofar as possible) that the HTML textfield
>     did to the whitespace etc.;

Enclose patches you want to comment on with

{{{
foo
}}}

That will prevent lots of mangling.

> 12) See my mail on the mailinglist and discover it doesn't do
>      mail threading;

I think it does a "flat" threading, i.e. all comments are marked as
replies to the original issue. It could be better, but at least the
mails are held together in a thread at all :)

> While with reviewing a patch on a mailing list I do
>
> 1) Hit the "reply to all" button (so that all interested people
>     will see my comments first thing!);

Well, that's a matter of taste. I have to delete whole _threads_ of
duplicated mails all the time, just because I replied to a single mail
in that thread. WTF? I'm subscribed, I _already_ get all the emails, why
should I be CC'd explicitly all the time?

That's why I remove all the CC's from every mail I reply to. I only
reply to the list. End of rant ;-)

Uwe.