[LinuxBIOS] selection of compression algorithm

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Thu May 25 23:16:17 CEST 2006

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> yhlu wrote:
>
>>just let the the uncompress take more parameter for the properties
>>buf, and every cpu find the correct buffer in RAM in BSP should be
>>OK...because the RAM on first node is ready at that time.
>

> How about
>
> int uncompress_generic(void *src, void *dst, void *buf, int bufsize);
>
> and uncompress_generic can assume that buf can be treated like RAM.
> If bufsize is too small, it can return an error. An additional function
>
> int needed_bufsize(void *src);
>
> could be written to compute the minimum buffer size for a given
> compressed image.
>
> What do you think?
>

> Regards,
> Carl-Danie

int needed_bufsize(void *src);

good. And in most cases it is:
size = *(unsigned long *)src;

int uncompress_generic(void *src, void *dst, void *buf)

if the programmer is too stupid to call needed_bufsize, they're probably
too stupid to pass in a correct bufsize to this function, I think it is
not needed.

ron