[LinuxBIOS] Compressing the OLPC VSM?

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Tue May 23 19:52:46 CEST 2006

Ronald G Minnich wrote:
> Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the VSM Ron mailed yesterday to olpc-devel can be compressed
>> very well to under 32 kb.
>>
>> 65536 vsa_test.64k-0001.bin
>> 35587 vsa_test.64k-0001.bin.nrv2b
>> 32143 vsa_test.64k-0001.bin.lzma
>>
>> Is the VSM executed after RAM is there and can we use compression
>> for it? 50% savings are really good.
>>
> yes, this is great. I want to move to the new compression asap.

See my other patch to the list which adds the decompression code
and infrastructure. I'm preparing another patch which will make
use of all that code. The patches I sent until now do not modify
any existing code, so they should be safe to apply.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel

P.S. I have a script which will figure out the best compression
possible with lzma if you give it the memory scratch pad size
as an argument. This can yield up to 2% additional compression.
--
http://www.hailfinger.org/