[LinuxBIOS] selection of compression algorithm

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Mon May 22 07:22:15 CEST 2006

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> what was the motivation to select nrv2b for compression?
> Speed? Size of decompressor? Coding style?
>
> Size   File
> 843910 vmlinux.bin
> 437684 vmlinux.bin.nrv2b
> 430890 vmlinux.bin.gz
> 414679 vmlinux.bin.bz2
> 357609 vmlinux.bin.7z
>
> If the 7z decompressor is less than 80 kb bigger than
> the nrv2b decompressor, would it make sense to switch?

It's fine with me. As i said, I had a gzip decompressor in early
linuxbios, and we can look at getting it back. I just stole the one from
the kernel. nrv2b is nice, I understand, for the romcc section where you
don't have many variables to play with, but it's been so long since I
looked at the gunzip code that I have no idea if this is true.

ron