[LinuxBIOS] I give up -- time for a new plan.

Richard Smith smithbone at gmail.com
Tue May 9 23:59:02 CEST 2006

On 5/9/06, Eric Poulsen <eric at zyxod.com> wrote:

> I've been researching the IDE/DMA/Linux issue that appears to plague the
> VT8235 southbridge.  Seems there is _no_ reliable fix for this issue,
> which has been known to exhibit itself even in Windows if you're using
> the old/stock via drivers.    Even if I do get the LB issues figured
> out, the DMA issue (as far as I can tell) is _unfixable_.  Reliability
> is a huge thing for me (hence the use of Linux).  The Epia board is
> bound for Ebay.

Wow thats a major bummer.  Can you summarize up everthing you have
found?  If that is really true that its _unfixable_  then it probally
needs to be up on the wiki.  Save someone else the trouble.

What epia boards does this affect?

> (mini-itx, preferrably), that has all the usual goodies
> (IDE,USB,VGA,serial, etc) that is known to work well with LinuxBios?
> Naturally, one without a VIA chipset?

Working well with LB is the kicker.  You could join us on the GX1
quest.  There are several GX1 boards out there.  If you get one like
Chris's with an external VGA chip then you won't have to mess with the
VSA stuff.  I think the GX1 is close to working good but it just need
a few tweaks to get there.

--
Richard A. Smith