[LinuxBIOS] Error in FSF high priority list LinuxBIOS description

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu May 4 01:05:01 CEST 2006

* Lu, Yinghai <yinghai.lu at amd.com> [060503 18:28]:
> 1. So the kernel need to know Hypertransport HT scan.
> 2. Also we need to move silicon bug fix code to kernel driver..., or
> cache_as_ram stage code...
>
> YH

All in all I like the fact that we take this kind of stuff out of "the
kernel", and have it seperately. I agree that the line that is drawn by
the proprietary BIOS that makes up the interface today is less than
optimal.

On the other hand, Linux is really complex already and for me small
parallel and understandable systems are worth a lot more than creating
an egg-laying wool-milk-pig (heck, is there something like this in
english? all-in-one device suitable for every purpose..)

The linuxbios <--> payload determination is a really good one. For one
real reason: I take the same kernel that works with legacy bios and I
put it into flash given thats big enough.

When I am going to flash LinuxBIOS, I know that I will not have to look
at much more than the ~ 200,000 lines of LinuxBIOS code (wc -l on all
files, including documentation).

The idea that we want to or should cope with the several millions of
Linux code in the very same code is very ambitious. And scares me a bit,
thinking of the mess I had with MILO.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613