[LinuxBIOS] MB1030 / 3036 VGA comes up :D

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Tue May 2 21:16:52 CEST 2006

* Christian Sühs <chris at suehsi.de> [060502 18:36]:
> >>inb(0x03cf) = 0x00
> >>inb(0x03cf) = 0x88
> >

> >So its crashing 'inside' of a printk.  0x3cf is a VGA index register.
>
> Well, I think so. Many logs looks like the one above. The first
> character is printed. Than nothing no more.

again, because I fear the thread is getting too big to get everything
with full attention almost:

The hand is pretty likely caused by a race or something in the graphics
card bios caused by the delays of the serial output.

So while the serial interface (which has a buffer of at least 16 bytes)
is still sending at a certain baud rate, the program is already further
when the machine hangs and prevents the UART FIFO to be transferred
completely. This is rather common when debugging such stuff over serial.

To get back to the issues: What are we trying to solve exactly?

 - the 90s delay during VGA init.
 - anything else?

We have a lot of good suggestions in this thread but I think we need to
get focus again and go smaller steps.

Stefan

      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 • Fax: +49 761 7664613