[LinuxBIOS] LinuxBIOS Debian package.

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Mon Jul 24 18:28:53 CEST 2006

On Mon, Jul 24, 2006 at 05:39:12PM +0200, Uwe Hermann wrote:
> It seems there are no packages available at the moment - is this
> correct?

Yep. But not by design.

> I'm not sure it makes sense to have the src/* and targets/* stuff
> packaged (maybe it does), but some things would be nice, I guess.
>
> For example (quick draft):
>
> linuxbios - metapackage which draws in all/most other packages

This strikes me as a bad idea since users may get the impression that
apt-get install linuxbios would be all that is required to change
BIOS. While that would be very nice at some point I think we may not
be there quite yet. Ideally we should be able to programmatically
identify which mainboard a system is running on. Is this possible?
A fuctury BIOS checksum -> LB target whitelist perhaps?

> linuxbios-doc - documentation

Maybe more than one doc package since there are a few different kinds
of docs. I'm not familiar with debian package conventions so I don't
know what would be best.

> linuxbios-utils - standalone utilities, e.g. romcc, flashrom, ...

This makes sense, but ideally I think each util should be a separate
package. Again I don't know how well that fits into debian package
convetion.

> Maybe also something like linuxbios-src which contains the rest,
> and which can be used to compile images(?)

There are no real LB relases yet. Versioning would be done based on
snapshot date or svn revision.

//Peter