[LinuxBIOS] USB Host to Host Debug Dongle/Cable

Bari Ari bari at onelabs.com
Sun Jul 23 19:15:56 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Richard Smith <smithbone at gmail.com> [060723 04:15]:
>
>> Stefan mentioned that a simple pci serial port adapter wouldn't really
>> work since you have to go through the serial bus to find it.
>>

> And this was a wild guess. These adapters are available for below 10$.
> Whoever can try this, please do. I would assume that this needs some
> special initialization sequence at least as they are not connected via
> the SuperIO chip, or are they?
>

>> What about making a PCI card that ignored spec and always positively
>> decoded port 80 or 90 or what ever we picked.  Then you could stick it
>> in and data would come out whenever outs to that port happened.
>>

> a port 80 card "with a memory" or a serial interface on the other side?
> Sounds good. And works on all machines that have slots. This way port80
> codes would not have a distinct meaning but be bytes written to
> the console
>
> It seems to be on the horizon that there is not "1 final solution" to
> this problem but rather "the most simple or cheapest solution for this or
> that purpose"

PCIe is the direction in the PC world. PCI will still be around for
years mainly for MIPS/ARM SOC based network devices, routers, bridges etc.

PCIe Serial Cards
http://www.serialgear.com/PCI-Express-Cards.html

One-port (9-pin) serial (16550 UART) x1 PCI Express card
http://www.siig.com/product.asp?pid=1020&catid=14

I haven't come across a PCIe Minicard to serial adapter yet.

-Bari