[LinuxBIOS] ALi M1489 & M1487 Chipset

kratchkov kratchkov at inbox.lv
Sun Jan 15 02:03:17 CET 2006

Hello everyone,

I found a strange board (get some pictures from
http://bram.dhis.org/pub/ror1000/) which has the following chips
on it:
- AMD AM486DX5-133 processor
- ALI M1487 and ALI M1489 chipsets
- BASIS Communications (ex-Cirrus Logic) CL-PD6729 PCMCIA controller
	with two PCMCIA slots
- AMD PCnet-FAST III network controller
- EPIC Ei-16C550 serial FIFO UART - with one serial connector

There is no keyboard plug, no graphiccard, no PCI, no ISA.

All these chips are supported by linux (to my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong).

Further, there are 4MB RAM (two GM71V18163CJ6 with 1M-words each), and 512kB
FlashROM (Hy29F040AC-90; PLCC32 outline). The latter seems to be like a BIOS,
including the original firmware.

The board is from a ORiNOCO ROR-1000 wireless accesspoint, and works with the
original firmware, but there is not much I can do with, since I do not have a
pcmcia wireless card.

Trying to find a way to put linux on it, I stumbled on LinuxBIOS, and wondered
if it was possible to replace the firmware with it.

Is the ALi chipset supported? Are there any special problems which could be
encountered by using LinuxBIOS on such a small board?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings from switzerland,

Matthias