[LinuxBIOS] [Fastboot] Re: [Kboot-general] Re: small 64bit initrd

Steve Gehlbach steve at nexpath.com
Fri Jan 13 22:29:14 CET 2006

Thanks for the info.  I will give it a try.  I actually had linux-tiny
in my list of links to get to and read, and hadn't got there yet.  A few
months ago I just took a straight forward approach of clicking the same
things I had in 2.4 for 2.6, and it built out at about 1300K.  It was so
far from 900K that I didn't look any further.  Things that I need that
add a lot are for example usb mass storage and also ext3 but I am not
sure how much that adds.

I might also mention that I have always left out module support, and
linked in 5-10 most popular network drivers.  There seems to be no
savings in space since you would need all the modules on the disk
anyway.  Never had any problems in the drivers finding their card or
conflicting.  The idea is that it can be used on a wide variety of
hardware without configuration.  Maybe others have a better approach I
am open for ideas.

Steve G.