[LinuxBIOS] [Kboot-general] Re: small 64bit initrd

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Wed Jan 11 23:56:19 CET 2006

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Yeah, that would be nice. It would also avoid depending on a
> "traditional" first-stage boot loader to load things from disk.
> (That is, in a standard configuration. kboot doesn't really care
> how you load it.)

note that some of us are trying to go this way in the Plan 9 world too.
Although it's been easier to do this in Plan 9 for some time -- the Plan
9 equivalent of kexec went in in 2000, so a kboot-like thing is pretty
easy. In fact, Werner, I'll probably try to steal as many kboot ideas as
I can :-)

> By the way, how much flash is in modern x86 motherboards these
> days ?  2 MB would be great for kboot,

2 MB? dream on :-(

Getting 1 MB is as good as we can do for now.

But, thank Intel for EFI, since that will give us 16 MB ...

ron