[LinuxBIOS] small 64bit initrd

Eric W. Biederman ebiederman at lnxi.com
Wed Jan 11 21:51:34 CET 2006

"Lu, Yinghai" <yinghai.lu at amd.com> writes:

> Any progress about small size 64bit initrd?
>
> I'm using suse 91 rescure initrd, it is about 18M (gzip -9)...

Which is clearly painful, and way overkill.

First you asked the wrong question looking from an initrd with a 64bit
user space.  Even for a 64bit kernel you don't need a 64bit user space
and 32bit is smaller and more common.

Second you looked in the wrong place.
What you want is: http://kboot.sourceforge.net/

The intro page lists kboot-9 as being only 39K.  I think that is just
the kboot part but it might be the entire initrd.  Using uclibc I am
certain it is below 1M.  Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to build
it yet.  (Sorry Werner).

Check it out just skimming through the documentation it looks like it
has already surpassed FILO in capabilities.

Eric