[LinuxBIOS] How to ID flash chip type from software?

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Sun Feb 26 16:55:54 CET 2006

On Sun, Feb 26, 2006 at 06:00:07PM +0300, Anton Borisov wrote:
> Hello.
> 	There is a tricky case - I can't see which exactly flash chip
> installed in system. flashrom from v2161 was unable to identify it
> too. I found an interesting site - http://ctflasher.sourceforge.net
> - however this tool doesn't have bios-flasher yet.

If the requirement is to use software only then perhaps you can make
flashrom print vendor ID and product ID - and use that as reference?

If you do have access to the hardware I suggest identifying the flash
chip visually.

http://wiki.linuxbios.org/index.php/FAQ#How_do_I_identify_the_BIOS_chip_on_my_mainboard.3F

Peel the shiny sticker off the chip if there is one and copy the chip
manufacturer name and model number to the list if you don't recognize
them.

//Peter