[LinuxBIOS] Tyan S2895 and nVidia GeForce 6200

Kowalski, Bobby Jim BJ.Kowalski at gd-ais.com
Wed Feb 15 19:22:59 CET 2006

I have a Tyan S2895 motherboard with an nVidia GeForce 6200 TurboCache
addon card (nVidia NX6200TC-TD64EB).  I seem to be having problems that
appear, at this point, to be related to the executing the Option ROM
code using the X86 emulator code.

When LinuxBIOS (v2-2174) executes it detects the addon card and reports
it as PCI device 03:00.0 (last PCI device in system - motherboard slot 1
PCI-E x16).  This card has an Expansion ROM (a.k.a. Option ROM) and it
is detected by LinuxBIOS.  I have verified that the function
pci_rom_load() correctly copies the image from the ROM to memory at
0xc0000 (copies 0xf600 bytes).  I have also verified that 0xc0000 is
empty (contains all 0x00) prior to the copy occuring.  After the
Expansion ROM is loaded into RAM the function run_bios() is called.  In
that function there is a printk_debug("entering emulator") just before
the call to X86EMU_exec().

I have noticed that the first "e" of the message appears on the screen
and is followed by the remainder of the message, character at a time,
after much delay (seconds) between characters.  Once the call to
X86EMU_exec() is made the system never completes the boot process as I
do not see any of the messages such as:

	Devices initialized
	Writing IRQ routing tables ....
	Wrote the mp table ...
	Moving GDT to 0x500 .....

I also do not see the POST code of 0x89 (out of hardwaremain() after
dev_initialize() completes.

I would be interested in hearing if anyone has successsfully used this
card on a Tyan S2895 with LinuxBIOS or on any other motherboard with
LinuxBIOS.  Booting the standard Tyan BIOS (PhoenixBIOS 1.01.2895) and
running SuSE 10.0 it works fine.

I would also be interested in hearing which addon VGA cards have been
used successfully (lately) on the S2895 as the S2895 does not have a VGA
capability on the motherboard.

Thanks
BJ