[LinuxBIOS] Fwd: [Linux-fbdev-devel] [patch] Framebuffer driver for Geode GX

Li-Ta Lo ollie at lanl.gov
Wed Feb 1 17:19:12 CET 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 07:16 -0600, Richard Smith wrote:
> > The driver says portions were _derrived_ from the 2.4 driver.  Its not
> > a straight port.
> >
> > I've asked the author to comment on what the differences are.
>
> Here's his response:
>
> ===
> > Aside from being more recient whats the difference between your driver
> > and the 2.6.11 driver patch from AMD?
>
> There's only a driver for the Geode LX (or more correctly, our AMD FAE
> couldn't point me to a driver for the Geode GX).

We know that FAEs don't know much about linux ;-) From the README

	This product adds support for the AMD Geode(TM) GX processor and the
	AMD Geode(TM) CS5535 companion device to the Linux 2.6.11 kernel tree.

> AMD's drivers tend to use their OS independant HAL (c.f. cimarron for
> the Geode LX driver and their use of the Durango API in their old 2.4
> drivers for the Geode GX).  As such, they're not suitable for inclusion
> into the kernel anyway.
>

>From what I found in the patch.

+#ifdef MODULE
+MODULE_AUTHOR("AMD");
+MODULE_DESCRIPTION("Geode GX3 Cimarron graphics engine abstraction
layer");
+MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
+#endif

Why can't i be include in the kernel?