[LinuxBIOS] Handling different chipset versions: the right way?

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Wed Dec 13 22:41:46 CET 2006

I'm looking at working on via vt82c686b for tyan s2507, and I'm
wondering what the best way to handle the differences between 686a and
686b is. The only difference I can see is a single PCI ID for ACPI.
Would it be better to use some sort of runtime detection for this single
PCI ID to differentiate, or seperate the two entirely? Also, should I
use the whole name of the chipset, vt82c686b, or just shorten it to
vt686b (which is commonly used by via)? BTW, I'm putting off i815 again,
because I can't get the test rig out of its current use.

-Corey