[LinuxBIOS] development board

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Dec 11 17:03:53 CET 2006

>> Sure, but I guess an ICE/ICD (In-Circuit-Emulator/Debugger) for a
>> modern CPU will cost a couple of hundred thousand dollars.
>
> For a modern processor, "ICE" means something different than what you
> are thinking of. NO one debugs with a true "ICE" any more,

Not "no one" -- but for the purposes we're talking about
here, it's pretty close yes.

> Adding to Ron's homebrew stuff:
>
> http://www.mouser.com/search/refine.aspx?Ntt=DLP-2232M-G
>
> is a $35 board that very easily talks JTAG from USB.

Ooh, nice!  And a bunch of CPIOs and a 232 port at the
same time, too.  With drivers and example code and
everything.

Do note that for debugging a "modern" processor you still
need to know what JTAG commands to send (and many manufacturers
don't publicly document this).

Segher