[LinuxBIOS] AMD PIC BIOS - Flashing on WinCE?

Corey Osgood corey_osgood at verizon.net
Thu Dec 7 22:03:42 CET 2006

ozcan at ug.bilkent.edu.tr wrote:
> Hello all,
>  I have one of those AMD PIC Computers (Personal Internet Communicator). It has a Geode processor (x86). it comes with WIndows CE preinstalled and refuses to boot antthing else.
>  I read on numerous places that there is some cryptographic handshaking going on between BIOS and the OS loader.
>
>  Therefore at the moment I cannot boot it with Linux. And unfortunately the BIOS chip is soldered onto the mainboard. So my only bet is programming the chip with LinuxBIOS under Windows CE. Is this possible? I want it so bad, as this machine is garbage with Windows CE running.
>
>  Thanks in advance.

IF you have a windows-based flash tool, you should be able to use that
to flash linuxbios onto it. However, where your BIOS chip is sodiered
on, I'd first worry about sodiering on a plcc socket onto the
motherboard (if it has a plcc bios, the pics I've seen of them do) and
getting a backup bios chip. Then, you should be able to flash with
another PC running a BIOS chip of the same voltage (or else the windows
flash option). This way, if something unexpected should happen, you're
covered. My personal option: 2 extra chips, one for the original ROM,
the other for your lb ROM, and the original chip in storage (in case you
mess up).

-Corey