[LinuxBIOS] IT8718F support.

Carl-Daniel Hailfinger c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net
Wed Aug 30 00:11:14 CEST 2006

Stefan Reinauer wrote:
> * Carl-Daniel Hailfinger <c-d.hailfinger.devel.2006 at gmx.net> [060829 23:06]:
>> Yes, he is. This has the potential to get quite a lot of people started
>> and getting any output at all is a major motivation factor even if the
>> rest of the code for bringup has yet to be written.
>
> Definitely. Uwe, can you (or someone else) have a look what SuperIOs
> boards usually use, so we can try to support an as large as possible
> set of boards theoretically. (thinking mainstream)

The FSF has a campaign (http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/free-bios.html)
we could use for sampling which SuperIOs are used in commonly sold
boards. Their "how can you help" section could state prominently that
we need a list of boards with matching SuperIOs.

Suggested text follows:
"The LinuxBIOS project needs your help to make LinuxBIOS work on
your mainboard. A first important step is to know which SuperIO your
mainboard uses. This information can be obtained easily following
the directions on <some LinuxBIOS wiki page>. Once that is known,
you can download a matching experimental BIOS image and test the
code."

The LinuxBIOS wiki page could read as follows:
"How to find the SuperIO on your mainboard? There are two ways to
do it:
1. Find the chip on the board (usually a bigger chip with ITE, NSC,
   SMSC, VIA or Winbond written on it). See <photo> and <photo>
   for reference.
2. Find the chip with sensors-detect and look for something named
   SuperIO. See <sample output> for reference. Equipped with that
   information, you may also want to find out if that chip is really
   soldered on your board.
Please add this your findings to the wiki so others can verify
and profit from it.

What do you think?

Regards,
Carl-Daniel