[LinuxBIOS] Intel Asks for Opinions on EFI, BIOS/Firmware in a Survey

Ronald G Minnich rminnich at lanl.gov
Tue Aug 1 05:21:30 CEST 2006

Bari Ari wrote:
> Intel has a BIOS survey at:  http://developer.intel.com/sites/developer/
>
> Take the BIOS/Firmware Survey. Give us your opinions on BIOS/Firmware
> <http://poll.onsurvey.net/istu/61030C1/dnc.asp>
>
> Here's a way to send a message to Intel about what BIOS developers think
> of EFI.

I love advertisements concealed as polls:

Are you aware the industry is in the midst of moving from legacy BIOS to
EFI/UEFI?

and there's no selections for linuxbios. What a joke.

It gets better:
"
EFI/UEFI:The EFI specification defines a new model for the interface
between operating systems and platform firmware. The interface consists
of data tables that contain platform-related information, plus boot and
runtime service calls that are available to the operating system and its
loader. Together, these provide a standard environment for booting an
operating system and running pre-boot applications."

No mention of DRM hooks. hmm.

oh yeah, it's so great that we have to conceal an ad as a poll. What a
winner.

and...
"Which company is leading the industry in terms of EFI/UEFI…"

There's no "I really don't care" button.

Betcha they want to pick intel.

This is great. These are "questions"
EFI/UEFI creates efficiency
EFI/UEFI is flexible
EFI/UEFI is scalable
EFI/UEFI saves money
EFI/UEFI saves time

Here's a dead giveaway:
Which CPU are you currently using?
	AMD
	Intel® Celeron
	Intel® Celeron D
	Intel® Celeron M
	Intel® Core™ Duo Processors
	Intel® Itanium® 2
	Intel® Pentium D
	Intel® Pentium M
	Intel® Xeon®
	VIA

Since there's only one type of AMD cpu, right? And you only get *one*
choice.

And, still better:
"
Would you like to be contacted to participate in further Intel related
research activities?
	Yes - I would like to be contacted to participate in further Intel
related research activities.
"

Wow, these guys are smooth, eh? I would never have guessed that this was
a fake poll.

To be honest, I doubt very much what Intel cares about what people think
of efi, but go ahead and take the poll -- you never know.

ron