[LinuxBIOS] MB1030 / 3036 I like 13 :D

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Apr 27 11:02:02 CEST 2006

* Christian Sühs <chris at suehsi.de> [060427 10:57]:
> 0xc0000 - 0xfffff is normaly Cached?

you can often decide about this in the bios options. which makes little
sense, except you plan to rub your nose permanently on an old rom chip.

> Means, should I set the cache bit?

You might, if you plan to put something there that should be readable
later (and is read a lot of times). So if you are planning to use Linux
you don't need to care.

> How is the range 640k-1MB normally set in other systems.

0xe0000-0xfffff is always "cached" in awkward bios, as they uncompress
parts of their code to those memory adresses where it stays for "bios
callbacks". We don't have that, so its not an issue.

You might want to play with this again if you switch CONFIG_COMPRESS on
but want the pirq table in 0xf0000-0xfffff without failing.

> I would like to set the magic bit for vga to 00 (at the moment it is set
> for 4K I/O range and all vga instructions are enabled)

run lspci -xxx on LinuxBIOS and factory BIOS and start comparing the
differences, or start looking in the datasheets for it..

    Stefan

--
coresystems GmbH · Brahmsstr. 16 · D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 · Fax: +49 761 7664613