[LinuxBIOS] Kernel crash output

Peter Stuge stuge-linuxbios at cdy.org
Wed Apr 26 21:46:47 CEST 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 11:50:24AM -0700, Eric Poulsen wrote:
> > Ok! So the only successful way to boot LinuxBIOS under any
> > circumstances is to first boot factory BIOS, have it do something
> > (possibly rewrite CMOS, possibly something else) and then reboot
> > into LinuxBIOS without powering off the system?
>
> Not at all.  After the "reset," I can power down and restart (this
> is typical because I just hit the power switch, and linux shuts
> down).
> Often, I can come back later and it boots fine.  Then, it suddenly
> starts having issues, and this is persistent until the "reset."

Ok, thanks for making that clear. Can you provide some timeframes?
Ie. how much later "later" means, and how much time passes between
"later" and "suddenly" ? :)

> It _seems_ (but I haven't verified) to be exacerbated by having the
> machine off for a few hours/days.
>
> > If it works also when powering off between factory BIOS and
> > LinuxBIOS, please leave the system powered off several hours up
> > to a day and see it that works too.
>
> Haha I hadn't read this paragraph when I wrote the above.  It seems
> that long off times screws up LB.

The reason this may matter is that special configuration of chips
performed by the factory BIOS may well stay around in chip registers
even if power is cut for some time, while if the special config is in
CMOS it will of course survive without power a lot longer.

//Peter