[LinuxBIOS] What's stored in the CMOS by LB?

Eric Poulsen eric at zyxod.com
Tue Apr 25 19:26:47 CEST 2006

The LinuxBIOS boot doesn't always work for me 100%.  Sometimes I get
Exception 6 in LB itself (causing a halt), other times, the Kernel has
an Exception 6, or it can't find the hard drive.

Here's the weird part: I flip back to the factory BIOS, it says "CMOS
checksum invalid, using defaults". I hit DEL, save the settings to CMOS,
and power down.  I flip back to LB, and all of a sudden, it's working
fine for a while.  The kernel is a stock Ubuntu kernel with initrd that
always works with the stock BIOS + grub loading.

1) Does LB store anything in the CMOS?
2) If yes, is there anything in there that could become corrupted and
cause "weird issues" as described above?
3) If no, any other guesses?

-- Eric

P.S>> I haven't had any issues since I got VGA working, but I've only
powered up the machine twice since that flashing.