[LinuxBIOS] Extraction of vga bios from .BIN file?

Eric Poulsen eric at zyxod.com
Mon Apr 24 21:59:41 CEST 2006

Richard Smith wrote:
> On 4/24/06, Eric Poulsen <eric at zyxod.com> wrote:
>

>> Okay,
>>
>> I tried awardeco, and it DOES NOT list the VGA ROM, but CBROM (under the
>> "dosbox" emulator) worked well.
>>

> Please keep track of your procedure,  what tools worked and didn't
> work, where you got them from, etc so we can put it on the wiki.

I've done a LOT of things, but they mostly didn't work =)

When this is all over, I'll write up a set of instructions, and follow
them from a clean install to see if I've got it all down.

>> Only one thing -- the extracted VGA ROM is _exactly_ 64000 bytes
>> (instead of 65536) -- do I need to pad it out (with zeros?) before
>> concatenating it with LinuxBIOS to achieve the final burnable image?
>>

> Yes. dd can snap it to the right size for you.  You could also tweak
> your ROM_SIZE to make it match.

I've got the VGA extracted -- I'll burn it tonight and see what happens.

Assumedly:

dd if=vga.bios.bin of=vga.bios.bin.padded bs=65536 count=1 conv=sync