[LinuxBIOS] Development Utility idea

Stefan Reinauer stepan at coresystems.de
Thu Apr 20 12:11:31 CEST 2006

* Justin Hawkeye <hawkeyeaz1 at gmail.com> [060419 20:16]:
[..]
> Assuming the Kernel does not get overwritten or lose control of system
> (crash), we now have a log of all neccesary and expected results of
> that bios on boot on that hardware. This would allow reverse
> engineering bioses and developing bioses for hardware legally?

Problems with this approach:

- compare it to driving a car. at one intersection the car just drives
  on. At another one it stops.
  This way you run into another car in the first intersection and most
  probably (murphy's law) halt without a reason on the second.

- you can never do better than factory bios

- the emulator would have to pass calls to the hardware. qemu, bochs and
  co emulate their own hardware.

Stefan

--
coresystems GmbH · Brahmsstr. 16 · D-79104 Freiburg i. Br.
      Tel.: +49 761 7668825 · Fax: +49 761 7664613