[LinuxBIOS] Is this system supported? SUN FIRE X4100

Duncan Laurie dlaurie at google.com
Mon Apr 10 20:13:17 CEST 2006

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006, Lu, Yinghai wrote:
> What OS are you going to use?
>
> Things to be checked
> 1. settings for to make management card working

Nothing required IIRC, but optional features such as the boot
mailbox are available.  The service processor does not have
an RTC so it relies on the BIOS to set its time with Set SEL
Time command but this could be easily done after boot with
the OpenIPMI driver and ipmitool script.

Flash of system BIOS can be done through the service processor
as it has hooks into the LPC bus (system must be in reset for
this to work).  This means a LinuxBIOS port would not be overly
dangerous since you can always flash a working BIOS by reloading
SP firmware (which includes a system BIOS).

> 2. Is the LSI FW on BIOS flash or another separate flash?
> 3. Boot from SAS raid directly? We may need to use big IDE flash for using tiny kernel and kexec...

LSI firmware is on a separate flash.  Disk boot will be tricky
but getting network boot working should be easier.  Boot over
redirected USB via service processor might also work...

-duncan